A Carbon Commitment Committee has been established in support of the University of Pittsburgh’s goal of achieving carbon neutrality by 2037.
Director of Sustainability Aurora Sharrard will chair this subcommittee of the Chancellor’s Advisory Council on Sustainability.
Carbon Commitment Committee members are:
- Jennifer Barnes, supplier diversity and sustainability coordinator, Purchasing
- Scott Bernotas, associate vice chancellor, Facilities Management
- Melissa Bilec, deputy director, Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation and Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Brendan Fouracre, Executive Associate Athletic Director for Capital Planning and Projects and Facility and Event Operations, Athletics
- Max Harleman, PhD candidate, Graduate School of Public & International Affairs
- Mike Holland, Vice Chancellor for Science Policy & Research Strategies, Research
- Katrina Kelly, assistant research professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mary Beth McGrew, associate vice chancellor, Planning, Design and Real Estate
- Ellen Oordt, undergraduate student, Ecology & Evolution '22
- Rebecca Roadman, senior HR project manager, Human Resources
Chancellor Patrick Gallagher announced the accelerated carbon neutrality goal, timed to align with Pitt’s 250th anniversary in 2037, in conjunction with the signing of the Second Nature Climate Leadership Statement and Carbon Commitment. The University is on a trajectory to meet the 2018 Pitt Sustainability Plan goal of reducing its greenhouse gas emissions and energy use 50% by 2030 (from a 2008 baseline), while producing or procuring at least 50% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030.